Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's on your bed?


For many years, I identified with the old story about the shoemaker's children who had no shoes, because we had a terrible, very early quilt of mine on our bed. Finally, to celebrate our twentieth anniversary, I made an Indiana Puzzle quilt for our king-sized bed with many different blue fabrics. It's hand quilted using my favorite large stipling stencil. It took an eternity and it wasn't finished until it was nearly our thirtieth anniversary!

Making the quilt was an excuse to take down some ugly brown flowered wall paper, paint, and put down new carpet. I had a good time looking for little blue objects to go with it. This is a wonderful dish I found in a Crawfordsville antique shop. Made by Nikko China, the pattern is called Discovery 1492. I've never attempted to make a Mariner's Compass, but it's a traditional pattern I love to see made well.

We also have a print of White Rose with Larkspur No. 2 by Georgia O'Keeffe in our room.
White Rose W/ Lakspur No.2 by Georgia O'keeffe
White Rose W/ Lakspur No.2

So, now I'm curious. What's on your bed, reader?

3 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love your Indiana Puzzle quilt; color and hand quilting are wonderful. Your decorating additions are perfect.
I have a thirties print Pinwheel Star also king size. Since I was working full time and commuting 90 miles a day when I made it, it took years. But no hand quilting for me...yet.

Jean Baardsen said...

There are a couple blankets on our bed. We own a comforter-type bedspread, but it lives in the closet and, while I think it's blue, I'm not even sure about that! The bedroom is upstairs and no one but us goes up there. However, a 43" x 53" art quilt that I made, called "Dunescape," hangs on the wall and it's the first thing I see every morning. By the way, I'm a librarian too, recently, and happily, retired!
Jean

Sheri said...

My cat......Love your quilt.