Thursday, March 12, 2009

Working on Caylan's piece


This is the front of Caylan's little birthday wall quilt. The label on the back says that the dancing skeletons image on the front was created by José Guadalupe Posada. The copyright on his work has expired, but I don't want to take credit for an image that isn't mine. The Alexander Henry fabric on the back was also based on Posada's work.

Once I got everything pieced and embellished, I sandwiched it using iron-on fleece for the batting. I'm quilting it now. Here's a detail of the echo quilting around the figures.

Someone asked in a comment on one of my posts about the order in which I do things. I follow this order:
1. piece
2. embellish
3. sandwich layers
4. quilt
If you do plan to enter your work in a show,the back side of your embellishment stitches (embroidery knots, beading thread knots, etc.) aren't supposed to show. Hence this order.

No comments: