Monday, May 11, 2009

Getting a start on the Brownies quilt and odds and ends


I got a start on the Brownies quilt on Saturday. The central figure is traced so I can start the brown work embroidery on him.



I also cut out the hands pattern from Ellie Sienkiewicz' s book Papercuts and Plenty. I'm a little nervous about doing the traditional appliqué. It's not something I've done very much. At the same time, I just don't like the idea of raw edges using fusible webbing. Any thoughts?



I had a lovely Mother's Day yesterday. Our dear friends the Penlands invited us for lunch. We go way back with them--before we were married actually. It was a gorgeous Carolina spring day so we set up outside in the sun with hats. Poor Jim still managed to get a little sunburn. A la familia!



This is the Neo Geo fabric by Jackie Shapiro that I won during the First Annual Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Thanks again, Amy.

1 comment:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love your background fabric for your embroidery of the brownie. I would think traditional applique, but you have a very intricate design...have you ever tried starch method? That is what I used on the medallion for my header quilt - Cosmati II after I gave up on reverse applique.
You chose some lovely fabrics for your win. Congratulations.