Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Brownies quilt: Grape cluster



Here's the first cluster of grapes along with an embroidered tendril. The leaves will have embroidered veins eventually, too.
I decided I needed to appliqué the next leaf down before I did the second grape cluster because of the spacing.

I've also picked some quotes from several of Palmer Cox's Brownie stories to write in the four areas where the hands are appliquéd.
Here's one from "The Brownies and the Railroad":

"We 're here to aid the human kind,
To note the want, to ease the mind,
The more we serve, believe me still,
The better we our mission fill."

2 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The grapes look great and I love that quote. I think I need to write that somewhere to be read often.

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Mary. They really are sweet, little stories. I don't know if you've read the Harry Potter books, but there are characters called House Elves in them who are very similar to the Brownies.
All the best,
Dana