Monday, June 08, 2009

Brownies quilt progress



Progress was made on the Brownie quilt this weekend. The final border and corner blocks were sewed on and then I used a tracing to center the title.



Patterns of the letters are ready for tracing on Wonder Undered brown fabric.



The title letters are all cut out. (It was a fantastic weekend, so I took work out on the porch whenever possible.)



The Brownie for the title is being traced on cream fabric.



I used the tracing again to place the Wonder Undered letters before I ironed them on.



The letters are ironed on. I'm glad I decided to fuse this part of the quilt. I was worried because most of it is going to be hand appliquéd, but that's just me being paranoid about the quilt police. It's my quilt. I can break the rules if I want to!



I embroidered the Brownie for the title whilst sitting on the porch. It was lovely.



Ready to appliqué the title Brownie.



Making a tracing of the grapevine border from Elly Sienkiewicz's book Appliqué 12 Borders and Medallions.



Beginning to pin down the vine. Now, I'm turning out the lights in Safety Pin Studio and getting ready to watch the Tonys!

6 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

Hi, I am new to your blog. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result of your brownie quilt. It is good to know there are other quilters out there that ignore the quilt police.

Your post on tracking your blog was very informative. It is something I will read again and again until I understand this whole blogging world.

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I'm happy that the tracking post was helpful. It's been remarkably popular. I'm anxious to see how this quilt will turn out myself. I don't think there's a way in the world that I'll make the deadline for the challenge, but I can still enter it in my guild show in 2010! The important thing is that it's providing lots of problem-solving situations and giving me practice with skills I normally don't use very often like hand applique.
Thanks also for taking the time to comment.
Best,
Dana

Jean Baardsen said...

Wow, Dana - Great progress! Thanks for the information about the size of this quilt - 45" square? When you had talked about doing it for a challenge, I had been expecting something about 12" but then I watched it get bigger and bigger and bigger! It's beautiful.
I started ignoring the quilt police years ago when I realized how much I hated mitering corners on the bindings. I quit doing it, and still won ribbons. I also did a lot of fusing. It's what's important to us, not what someone else might think.
My sympathy - back to work today?? Do you have the summer off? Hope so....

Quilted Librarian said...

Well, Jean, now I'm wishing I HAD decided to go smaller! This is our last full week of school. The students come through next Monday, then we have a work day and then VACATION and a relatively free summer.
Best regards,
Dana

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This project is turning out just adorable. You do inspire me to be more myself and not follow the crowd. I love all the special things you are adding and you have great explanations.

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Mary! You are so good to take the time to comment on each post. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
All the best,
Dana