Sunday, June 07, 2009

Saying goodbye to my Aunt Joyce



I got some very sad news this week. My dear Aunt Joyce passed from this world. She was married to my Dad's younger brother, Tom. The picture above was taken on the front porch of Joyce and Tom's new house in Lima, Ohio in the early 1950's. My mom is on the left, my Aunt Irma (wife of Dad's youngest brother, Bobby), me in the middle and Joyce on the far right. She had the world's greatest sense of humor and a radiant smile. We always had a wonderful time when we went to visit at their house or when we saw them at my grandparents or when they came to Columbus to see us. She loved having everyone together at her house. She lost a brother in World War II and I think that was why family was so especially important to her.
We shared a love of quilts, too. She was a collector and had some beautiful antique quilts.



This one is me with Uncle Tom at our apartment on Long Street in Columbus, early 1950's.



Tom and Joyce have three children. Mark, the oldest, was adopted, then Joyce discovered she was expecting and Fran was born early, so she and Mark are only about seven months apart. Tom, the youngest, was born several years later. The photo above was taken at my Grandma and Grandpa Warner's house. From the left, Joyce is holding Fran, Tom is holding Mark, my cousin Mike Bolish (son of my Dad's older sister, Mary Jane and her husband, Bob Bolish) is holding his sister Patti, and I'm holding my brother Dan.



This last one is Tom and Joyce with Anna on her first birthday in Crawfordsville. My Uncle Tom was a Purdue grad, too, and they came down to see us when they came for one of his Purdue reunions.

Thanks for open arms, bright, dancing eyes, that killer smile, and ringing laugh. Thanks for listening and caring and making everyone welcome. Thanks for boundless love.

"I have only slipped away into the next room, I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Play, smile, think of me.
All is well."
~HENRY SCOTT HOLLAND

4 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great memories of a great person.

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Mary.

quiltcat said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and pictures of your aunt and family. I hope you will be comforted by many fond memories of her.

Quilted Librarian said...

You are very kind. All of us will treasure our memories of this great lady.
Best regards,
Dana