Sunday, July 05, 2009

Now We are Six--ty

The End
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
~A.A Milne, Now We Are Six (1927)

Milne didn't provide us with Christopher Robin's reflections on sixty and I don't really have anything pithy to say about it myself, but I do think Billy Joel came up with a great thought two months ago:

"I'm not a looking-back kind of person. What I've realized about turning 60 is I'm not just one age, I'm every age I've ever been. Sometimes I'm 11, sometimes 16, sometimes I'm 25, sometimes I'm 38, sometimes I'm 42, sometimes I'm in my 50s. I'm all over the place. And it comes in handy, especially in this line of work." Source

Thank, Billy, I agree. I may be sixty, but it's still rock and roll to me!


Photo by my dear husband who also gave me the lovely yellow roses.

14 comments:

Anna 'Relle said...

Well, Hi, and Happy Birthday! I found this link through Twitter, but I stayed because of the A.A.Milne poem... one of my all-time favourites. And then the Billy Joel quote absolutely made my day. It's a fantastic sentiment, and one that I wholeheartedly believe in. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have/had a wonderful day!
:-)
'Relle

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, 'Relle,

For some reason, that poem just popped into my head this morning and I found the Billy Joel quote on Reuters. Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm having a lovely day.
Best regards,
Dana

Rosa-Munda said...

Hi Dan,
A very happy birthday to you. And you certainly don't look 6-te. More like 45. Hope you have a lovely day. Ros

Quilted Librarian said...

Bless you, Ros and thank you for the birthday wishes.
Kind regards,
Dana

stringplay said...

Wonderful post! And Happy Birthday! Love the Erma quote as well.

Quilted Librarian said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes and thanks for visiting. I love the beautiful gray shawl you are knitting.
Best regards,
Dana

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Happy Birthday Dana! Stop and smell the beautiful roses and have a great day!

Jean Baardsen said...

Dana,
Happy Birthday, and many more! I turned 60 almost two years ago and I was thrilled. Have never been more my own person than I am now. There's a certain freedom that comes with aging. Beautiful roses!
Jean

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Mary and Jean,
I've had a lovely day and just got back from a delicious trout dinner at the Print Works Bistro.
Best regards,
Dana

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, ma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD1G_ILOvcc

I love you,
Dan-O

quiltcat said...

Happy birthday, Dana! You look wonderful, and the roses are a beautiful gift!

Quilted Librarian said...

Thank you so much. I had a lovely day.
All the best,
Dana

Minka said...

Great quote and poem. Happy Birthday!

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Minka.