Monday, July 05, 2010

On turning 61 years old





"Like most others who reach the modest age of sixty-one, I have hardly noticed it. Still this morning for the first time in more than twenty yeas I felt a twinge of rheumatism, a gentle reminder on this birthday that I am no longer a "spring chicken." On the whole the years have passed rapidly. Some of them, it is true, have dragged, but mainly they have hurried as if anxious to finish the job as soon as they possibly could. So quickly have they sped that I hardly realize that so many have been checked off, in fact I have scarcely thought about it as they went by."  ~ Clarence Darrow

I'm a big subscriber to the "you are only as old as you feel" school of thought and I've never been vain about my age.  That is probably a result of looking much younger than I was in my first quarter century so I always owned my age.  So 61 isn't a big psychic change from 60.  It's been a lovely day.  Jim and I had breakfast on the screened porch while it was still cool.  I sewed for a time and then he took me out to lunch at Lucky 32.  We had delicious cold cucumber and avocado soup to start.  He had a small steak and I had catfish.  Wonderful food, stellar service, and a stylish environment.  I spoke with my parents and the children on the phone and right now, I'm going to put my feet up and do some reading.  Happy birthday to me.
                                     (Pie art by Dan's friend, Jean in Granville, Ohio.)

10 comments:

quiltmom anna said...

Hope you have a fabulous birthday Dana- May you have many years of good health and prosperity. May you find yourself surrounded by the love and laughter of good friends and family. With best wishes,
Anna

Melinda said...

Happy Birthday to you! 61 is still young!

Jean Baardsen said...

Happy Birthday, Dana! And best wishes for a wonderful year.

Quilted Librarian said...

Thank you so very much for your kind wishes, Anna.

I agree with you, Melinda. I still feel very young at heart.

You are a sweetheart, Jean. Many thanks.

Warm regards to you all,
Dana

Walden said...

Belated Happy Birthday! I agree, you are only as old as you feel. I just wish sometimes I didn't feel so old :)

Quilted Librarian said...

Excellent point!
Thanks for your visit.
Kind regards,
Dana

Barbara said...

Happy birthday to you Dana and all the best wishes...though they are a little late! 49 was an excellent vintage, my father always said to me :-) !! We do not feel like 61 do we ?! Now we already have a second thing in common except the name :-) !
Barbara

Quilted Librarian said...

Many thanks, Barbara. I really like your father's saying--an excellent vintage, indeed!
Warm regards,
Dana

jeanettesquiltin said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks, Jeanette.