Friday, November 11, 2011

Thanking my dear veterans

On this Veterans Day, I want to thank all those who fought and are fighting still, but most especially, my own dear veterans.  My father, Dan, is an Army veteran of World War II and at nearly 92, still very active and fit.  In the photo above, taken during World War II, he is standing with his youngest brother, Bobby, in front of their family home in Upper Sandusky, Ohio.  Bobby enlisted right out of high school and became a Marine.  He was wounded in the Pacific campaign.  My father's brother, John Thomas, was also a Marine who was on a carrier in Tokyo Bay the day the Japanese surrendered.  These men and women give the best years of their lives and I am humbled and grateful. Thank you, Dad. Thanks, Uncle Bobby and Uncle Tom.

No comments: