Friday, June 19, 2009

My Perfect, Balanced Breakfast

“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper” Adelle Davis

My husband has a great deal of fun at my expense when it comes to breakfast. Taking Adelle Davis' advice to heart, I am a very enthusiastic breakfast eater. When I'm having my breakfast, Jim will come in and ask if I'm having my perfect, balanced breakfast. He tells me my breakfast looks like it could be a picture in a health textbook. Before he met me, he didn't eat breakfast. I take credit for his now eating a bowl of cereal at the very least.



Since my summer vacation just started, I had plenty of time to make my favorite breakfast on Wednesday, or Egg Day, as it is known around our house. I started with half a ruby red grapefruit with Splenda brown sugar.



This is my very excellent egg poacher and brown eggs from the Farmers Market.



“I went to a cafe that advertised breakfast anytime, so I ordered French Toast during the Rennaisance.” Stephen Wright

I love toast made in the oven with ciabatta or bagette. And yes, I like real butter. Properly brewed English tea is also a must and warranted its own post here.


"We do not stop until night-fall".
"What about breakfast?"
" You've already had it."
" We've had one breakfast yes,but what about SECOND breakfasts?"
- A dialogue between Aragorn and Pippin.
— J.R.R. Tolkien (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I love the concept of second breakfasts!

6 comments:

Jean Baardsen said...

I haven't had breakfast yet, and you just made me VERY hungry! My daily breakfast is cereal, milk and fruit. Yours is much prettier.

Minka said...

I love breakfast so much, I could eat it all day! You are making me hungry...I'm headed to the kitchen for an egg, etc.

Jocelyn said...

When my children were little I was a big fan of Adelle Davis, and used her books extensively. Since everyone is pretty much on their own now, breakfast has kind of gone by the wayside :-( Unless someone else cooks it for me. Isn't it amazing all the new medical discoveries that are now being discovered that Adelle wrote about 60 years ago??

Enjoy your day :-)

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks to all you breakfast lovers for your comments.
All the best,
Dana

Deepa said...

Wow!! I've had breakfast just now(but not as sumptuous as this)I think I'll go for a second - wish that grapefruit was here.

Quilted Librarian said...

Oh, but you have mangoes!!
Thanks for your visit, Deepa.
Best regards,
Dana