The four hands are appliquéd down and now I'm cutting away the excess fabric underneath the hands with the appliqué scissors.
Now that the trimming is done, I've started putting on the last border.
The two sides and the bottom will have a winding grapevine with leaves and grapes appliquéd.
I learned a nifty way to make circular appliqué pieces using removable paper price tag dots. Put the dot down on the wrong side of the fabric, cut the fabric with a 3/8 inch seam allowance. Take a running stitch around the edge (just like you do when you make yo-yos), pull tight, remove the paper dot, press and you have a perfect circle ready to be appliquéd down.
The title, The Brownies, goes on the top border along with another little Brownie that I'll embroider.
This is one of the candidates. I'm also planning to add a few more Brownies in the grapevine areas. I don't see how I'm going to get this all finished by July 1st, but if I don't, at least I'll have something to enter in the guild shows!