Saturday, December 25, 2010

"C is for Cat and Caylan"

Since this is a Christmas present, I'm putting this post together to go up on Christmas Day.  My niece, Caylan, is an artist and adores cats.  She works in a cat hospital in between making art.  I've had this fabric for years and wanted to try to find a way to use it in a quilt for her.

Back in 1999 when Jim and I were in London for the summer, I went to a British quilt show and bought a charm package that was all cat fabrics.  I wanted to use those in the quilt, too.  I finally settled on the snowball block.  Above is Sharon Hultgren's Easy Angle ruler™ that I use to cut the half square triangles.

Here's the first block laid out.

Four together.

Nine together.

All the blocks are assembled and the borders are on.

The backing fabric is flannel.  Everything is all basted and ready for quilting.

The continuous bias binding is a combination of two animal prints.

This is the tag that will go on when the bias is sewn on.

The large meandering or stippling stencil is a great compliment to linear blocks.

3 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful gift Dana! (And I'm not even a fan of cats!)
Happy Holidays!

Jan Hatchett said...

It's a lovely quilt, made even more special because it was geared directly to the recipent!

I really like the look of your hand quilted meandering. I have never thought to do that. Thanks for sharing!

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks so much. I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas with your beautiful family.

Thanks, Jan. Making a gift is always an enjoyable experience for me especially when I know it will be well-loved by the recipient.
Happy Holidays and thanks for your visit.
Dana