Monday, March 21, 2011

One Year out: Missing Mae

It's been one year since we lost Jim's mother, Mae "Peanuts" Fisher.  We are still feeling her loss keenly and can hardly believe it's been a year.  Dan has a post about his grandma today, too.  At certain times, I sense her presence. For example, on Sunday, we had breakfast with our niece, Cilloran, who had been home in New Jersey during spring break.  She and her sister had helped Jim's brother Scott go through Mom's extensive collection of cats to pick out some for each of the grandchildren and the rest of us.  Cilloran handed me a little cat figurine that was carved and said it had reminded them all of me and they thought I should have it.  It was one I had given Mom years ago and now it has come back to me.


Why should I be out of mind
Because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner
All is well.
~Canon Henry Scott Holland from
"Death is Nothing at All"

No comments: