Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Single Girl" Support Group: Finishing touches

Quilting has been completed.  The next step is to trim the edges.

For several years now, I've made tags for my baby quilts.  The tag goes on first and then the binding.

This is a walking foot.  It makes all layers of fabric go under the needle at the same time.  If you are going to do your own binding, it is a must-have tool.
Once the binding is sewn on, I removed the basting stitches.

Continuous bias binding is the only way to fly.  I posted a tutorial earlier about applying it.  You can find it here.



Once the binding is sewn on, it is turned to the back and sewn down by hand.

Here's a look at the front and the back.  This is why I love using striped fabric for binding.

Here's a finished corner.  I have one more side to sew down so the next post will be the final reveal.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Just found your BLOG and enjoy all the information that you pass along. Question? Where would I find a half hoop like the one you use? Is yours a wooden one?

Many thanks,
Ann

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Ann,
I'm sure you could locate one online. I got my small one in Paducah years ago. If you have a good quilt shop near you, they might have one or be able to order one for you.
Good luck,
Dana

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This is such a wonderful baby quilt Dana. I am WAY behind on all my projects and can't wait to get back to Single Girl.

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Mary,
I'm anxious to see yours finished. I love all your fabrics. I really enjoy this pattern.
Warmest regards,
Dana