Thursday, January 14, 2010

Baby quilt: Coming together



It's Saturday night and I'm ready to quilt. Last night I finished string piecing the squares. I'm loving the green-orange combination.



Here are the borders. I wish I had yards and yards of that Mary Ellen Hopkins circular design fabric in every colorway.



I always make my bias binding before I start quilting so I'm ready to complete the quilt after the quilting is done. Generally I make three-inch wide tape and then fold it in half to sew it on the quilt.



After pressing the tape in half, I have 150 inches of tape to go around the entire quilt.



The pin basting is completed. While this is really a basting technique for machine quilting, I love it for these small quilts because it speeds up the basting process so much. The batting is Warm and Natural. I machine wash and dry these baby quilts before I give them because they are meant to be used.



The hoop is on and I'm ready to start hand quilting.