Friday, April 13, 2018

The Brownies quilt...It's back!

I am a great one for starting a new project with lots of energy and usually am able to follow it through to the conclusion; however, I have my bin marked "UFOs" like many creative people.  Recently, I decided to look at that bin critically and either finish or abandon the projects in it.  If you are a reader of this blog since it began, you may remember The Brownies quilt which started as a challenge piece way back in 2009.  Due to the amount of handwork involved, I didn't make the deadline and when something else came up, I put it away.  Well, it's back.
The center of the quilt was finished, but the border which includes a grapevine on three sides still has a long way to go.  Here's a close-up of the grape clusters.

Each one of the grapes is a sort of tiny yoyo that's turned under and then appliquéd down. 

The grapevine itself is bias that's also appliquéd down.
 
The quilt was inspired by the Brownie stories by Palmer Cox.  One of my favorite story books from childhood contained "The Brownies' Circus" and was my introduction to these delightful little folks.  Many people have pointed out the similarity to J.K. Rowling's house elves in the Harry Potter books.


In addition to the large brownie in the center of the quilt, I wanted to include a few more around the grapevine.  These three will be added at various locations.

I also found a book plate of Cox's that I've enlarged to be the basis for the label on the back.  Once it's enlarged to the size I want, I put the print on the bed of the lightbox and then put fabric over it and trace the image for embroidery. 

I've appliquéd a new leaf down and am adding tendrils to the vine with perle cotton.  Lots of work to come on this piece, but now I feel like I have a good idea of where it's going.  As Rachel says, "Watch this space."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting pieces with the wide variety of different fabric choices. Your UFO basket must of been, and probably still is,like a kid in a candy shop with much exciting choices. Just dont know which to choose and start cutting. Congrads and may you complete all your beautiful projects with such grace :) V

Quilted Librarian said...

Thanks so much for your comment! It's been a varied journey finishing those UFOs.