Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Klimt cum Kenyon"



In my work to straighten up the closet in Safety Pin Studio, I did a lot of rod pockets yesterday.  One was for this quilt that I made in Crawfordsville back in 2001.  Titled "Klimt cum Kenyon,"  it's dedicated to Anna with apologies.  I had tried for months to do a large portrait quilt of her in the style of Gustav Klimt.  It just never looked like my mental image and so, I cut up the elements of the borders and background and made this quilt.  The title comes from the original intention and the fact that Anna was at Kenyon College at the time.  It was improvisationally pieced and hand quilted.


This is a detail to show the quilting.  I'm sending this off to Anna and Matty now that they can hang it properly. "Kundun" also got a pocket along with "Mérida Remix" and "Curiouser and Curiouser" that will be entered in the Piedmont Quilters Guild show.

4 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Good to get those creations out of the closet and up on the wall Dana!

Quilted Librarian said...

You are so right, Mary. What good are they doing rolled up in a closet?
Warm regards,
Dana

Jean Baardsen said...

Very nice - love the colors!

Quilted Librarian said...

Many thanks, Jean.