Monday, January 17, 2011

Quilt for yoga class



This is the fabric pull for my new projects.  I bought some great Michael Miller fabric called "Yoga Monkey" to make a bag for my mat.


After it came, I decided I needed a quilt, too.  I'm using a pattern by Janine Burke called Gemini. She is one of the designers for a great site called Blue Underground Studios.   Their sample quilts make wonderfully strong color statements and they seem to love scrappy quilts as much as I do.  Their patterns, while based firmly on tradition, have a great modern feel largely due to their fabric choices.


There will be 60 different fabrics in this quilt--all from my stash.

This is a little bonus shot of the safety pin fabric pennants.  All of the photos today were taken with my newish camera.  I decided I'm just going to make myself use it and try to get better.  I'm still not thrilled with the focus, but I'll keep trying.  It also likes natural light better than artificial.  The colors are really off.  Back to the manual....

6 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Cute stuff Dana!
Are you the yoga student?

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Mary,
Yes, I'm starting up my yoga practice again after many years away from it. I've found a wonderful class and am enjoying it tremendously.
I'm trying to build more strength in my arms especially.
Warm regards,
Dana

Dolores said...

I love the fabrics. There is a super easy yoga bag pattern on Amy Bulter's web site called Nigella Yoga Bag. It's in the sewing part of the free pattern section. I have made at least 4 bags in upholstery scraps and have to make a couple more soon. There are no patterns to print off - just raw measurements. I line the bag with ordinary lining fabric so the yoga mat can slip out easliy and I also put a button on the end of the bag which is sewn through the lining so the lining doesn't come out.
http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/mainmenu.php

Quilted Librarian said...

Hello Dolores,
That is exactly the pattern I am using for the bag! Great minds run in the same vein. Thank you for the excellent refinements to the pattern you've made. These are great ideas! I'll post again when I get the bag going.

Warm regards,
Dana

quiltcat said...

The yoga monkey fabric is hilarious. And the fabric's you've picked for the quilt are really yummy.

Quilted Librarian said...

It looks like someone has been catching up on her blog reading. Hello, again, Cat. When I saw that monkey fabric, I couldn't resist. It's such a fun project and will be extremely useful.
Warm regards,
Dana