Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



Happy Mother's Day to my mom who will be 90 next month. The picture above is Mom holding my brother Dan and me modeling lipstick for the first time! It was taken at my Grandmother Warner's house (check out the phone!!) late in 1954.
This year, I especially appreciate being able to call and wish my mother a happy day. To my dear mother-in-law, Peanuts, let me say that all is well here, but we miss you fiercely.

"Death is Nothing at All"

Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other
That we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes
We enjoyed together.

Play, smile, think of me, pray for me,
Let my name be ever the household word that
It always was.
Let it be spoken without effort,
Without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolutely unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am
Out of sight? I am but waiting for you
For an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner .

All is well.

Henry Scott Holland (1847-1918)
Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral

4 comments:

Deborah said...

A comforting poem.

Quilted Librarian said...

I think so, too. Deborah.
Warm regards,
Dana

karina said...

I lost my mother two years ago and I love this poem. At the funeral my husband read 'Do not stand by my grave and weep...'
I know she is out there somewhere but I miss her so much....

Quilted Librarian said...

Kit, I'm sorry for your loss. I am happy that the poem spoke to you, too.
Kind regards,
Dana