Thursday, July 21, 2011

Beating the heat by staying indoors

The forecast calls for 99 degrees that feels like over 100 here in the Piedmont today.  It's been one of those weeks when you thank your lucky stars you have AC.  While we got lots of porch-sitting in while Anna and Dan were here, I've been holed up indoors today... cooking!

First, I put a turkey carcass on to make stock.  I use Julia Child's basic stock recipe for fowl.  It smells heavenly and will probably become turkey soup with brown rice later.

Next, I put some red potatoes on the boil for potato salad to go with our Reubens at dinner.  Jim loves potato salad made using the Fannie Farmer recipe.  The panini press that Jim got me for my birthday is terrific and we made panini several times while Anna was here.  It also means we don't have to heat up the oven and thus the kitchen.

To those of you who are also experiencing this heat,  stay cool, and drink plenty of water.

No comments: