Monday, January 12, 2009

"For Peanuts and Schroeder"


The only quilt I've fused is called "For Peanuts and Schroeder" and celebrates my lovely mother-in-law and a dear friend of mine who are survivors of breast cancer.  Andrea Dworkin's fabulous quote was my inspiration and I reproduced it on the back of the quilt.  I've blogged previously about the quilt I made for my daughter, Anna, to commemorate her participation in the Boston 3-Day Walk for the Cure.  It's called "Walking for Peanuts" since she dedicated her walk to her grandmother. Thanks to my son, Dan, for the pictures.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I love this quilt. Did you jsut cut the pieces and place them on the fusible material or did you fuse to the fabric then place it? I can't tell from the picture - is this crazy quilted?
I started following you via the networked blogs for quilting.

Quilted Librarian said...

Hi Jan,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. That quilt was a snow day project back when I lived in Indiana. I just dumped the pink scrap box out on the floor and grabbed what I thought would work. As I recall, I didn’t even do much cutting to reshape the scraps, except for the obvious flower ones that were fussy cut. After it was composed, I fused the pieces one at a time and ironed them down. I did a blanket stitch around the flowers because I was worried about fraying and the really big stitches came right from the Dworkin quote. Those stitches were couched down so that they wouldn’t sag when the quilt hangs. For true crazy quilting, you might want to look at the piece I did for my daughter, “Walking for Peanuts.” http://danawarnerfisher.blogspot.com/2008/08/ive-just-finished-wall-quilt-for-anna.html

Also, if you click on the pictures, you can see the work in much more detail.
Thanks again for your lovely comment.
All the best,
Dana