Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Putting it together"--My selvage quilt


One of the neatest blogs I've visited lately is called the Selvage blog. The highly creative work of Karen Griska really appeals both to my artistic and frugal sensibilities. She's inspired me to share a piece I did for my last one woman show in Crawfordsville called "Putting it together". It was named after one of my favorite Stephen Sondheim songs from "Sundays in the Park with George." It's about the creative process--"the art of making art" as Sondheim so brilliantly puts it.

I used to wind huge balls of selvage and finally decided to try knitting with it. You can see some of the printing in this detail.

I love the strong textural quality of this piece.

Today is our Multicultural Fair at school. Team India was very excited yesterday afternoon when we were setting up our booth. It should be an extremely fun filled day.

3 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Absolutely a piece of art!

Selvage Quilter said...

Dana,
Thank you for the kind words about the Selvage Blog.
I love your knitted selvage quilt.
Karen

Lisalou said...

I had never thought to save my selvage!!! Wonderful idea! Great work!