Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Leaf for the International Fiber Collective

Robin Koehler over at Nestling by Robin blog also posted to Quiltart about the a beautiful leaf she made for the 2008-2009 project of the International Fiber Collective, Interdependence or the Tree Project. They are making a life-size tree and need 30,000 leaves. They are inviting fiber artists to donate these leaves. Follow the link for an entry form and more information.

The site features a quote by Gandhi:

“Interdependence is and ought to be as much the ideal of man as self-sufficiency. Man is a social being. Without interrelation with society he cannot realize his oneness with the universe or suppress his egotism. His social interdependence enables him to test his faith and to prove himself on the touchstone of reality.”
~ Mahatma Gandhi, 1929


This got me thinking about India which eventually brought me to the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya.

Photo credit: Danny Fisher

The leaf I'm making will be a bodhi leaf with some embroidered embellishment.

Photo credit: http://www.shunya.net/Pictures/NorthIndia/BodhGaya/BodhiTreeLeaves.jpg

After finding this great detail image, I chose fabric and decided to use a variegated thread for the veins. I tried to match the floss for the edge with the fabric for the top of the leaf. Iron-on fleece is in the middle.

To join the top and bottom, I worked blanket stitch all around the outside.

Then I worked stem stitch for the veins.

The leaf is on it's way to Alabama and now I must get back to work on my niece's birthday present!

No comments: