Thursday, February 19, 2009

Reading Meme






Clip art licensed from the Clip Art Gallery on DiscoverySchool.com

I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for memes. The Booklist blog came up with this one and it was on the ALA e-newsletter today, so I'll feed the librarian portion of this blog today with my answers.

1. Which book has been on your shelves the longest?
Actually there are two, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I've owned them since babyhood.
2. What is your current read, your last read, and the abook you'll read next?
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village, Fever 1793, and then I'll probably finish President Obama's Dreams from My Father.
3. What book did everyone like and you hated? Often, I avoid popular, airport type stuff. I never read Jonathan Livingston Seagull or Love Story, for instance, so really nothing I can think of.
4. Which book do you keep telling yourself you'll read, but you probably won't? War and Peace.
5. Which book are you saving for "retirement?" Remembrance of Things Past.
6. Last page: read it first or wait until the end? ALWAYS wait until the end.
7. Acknowledgements: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside? I read my husband's because I'm usually mentioned in them; otherwise, skip totally or skim quickly--not that interesting.
8. Which book character would you switch places with? Elizabeth Bennett, of course.
9. Do you have have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)? Yes, my Welsh copy of Dylan Thomas' Under Milkwood because it was purchased at a Welsh bookshop in Wales right after I'd visited Laugherne and I'd acted in a production of it.
10. Name a book you acquired in some interesting way. I got a copy of Henry Miller's book Sexus from Long's Bookstore in Columbus, Ohio that came from the men's restroom.
11. Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person? I gave my copy of the Jean-Christophe trilogy to my friend Diane because she cried when we talked about reading it in college.
12. Which book has been with you to the most places? An antique book of Celtic mythology has been to the United Kingdom twice, to New York, Boston, Columbus, Crawfordsville, and now Greensboro.
13. Any "required reading" you hated in high school that wasn't so bad ten years later? The only think I hated was Moby Dick and it still hasn't won me over. You've heard of "chick flicks", well, this is a guy book.
14. What is the strangest item you've ever found in a book? A piece of pizza. I'm a middle school librarian, need I say more?
15. Used or brand new? I'm not picky. I love books and book stores used and new.
16. Stephen King: Literary genius or opiate of the masses? I couldn't say. I've never read anything he's written.
17. Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book? No
18. Conversely, which book should NEVER have been introduced to celluloid?
Jane Eyre.
19. Who is the person whose book advice you'll always take? There's not really a single person. I listen to lots of people's advice.




No comments: